Thursday, September 6, 2012

Is it really only day 3?

Although I want to start  out writing something other than "WOW", it is the only word that comes to mind!  It's hard to believe it is only day 3.  At the end of the day when I still had 50 e-mails to read and issues to take care of, I said "I wish I would have known what I should have been doing this summer when I had downtime."  It was another 12.5 hour busy day!  When I came out of the conference room at 1:30, after working on busing information since 9 AM, I was shocked to see the sun shining.  I left the building at 7:15, with only 3 other cars in the parking lot, the feeling of accomplishment and thoughts of what I still should be accomplishing running through my head. 

My day was filled with spreadsheets, discipline, parent meetings and more busing!  I can't say how thankful I am for the process mindset that I gained from Great Lakes, and my knowledge of spreadsheet creation.  This really came in handy when I was helping to re-create the "master list" for our students who ride the bus.  You never know when a new skill is going to come in handy. It makes me think that I need to constantly be learning new things and instill this value in the young minds that I work with on a daily basis.  

Just a quick run down of my day:

Todd had a rough day - good thing Brian is okay with cuddling!
  • I started the day with a 7:50 AM surprise parent meeting - mom and dad aren't on the same page, and the child is definitely going to need a behavior plan.  . . . same child I met with on the first day of school. How do you fix spoiled?
  • I had a screaming child in a my office by 8:05 AM and her parents wouldn't part their ways, even though it will help their child calm down. This is one crazy mom - she called and wasn't happy, but again wasn't willing to listen to any suggestions. People should be required to have an education before having children!
  • I had a 9 AM busing meeting, which turned into me sitting in a conference room, creating a master bus list.  Thankfully there are good people who brought me bagels for breakfast and Subway for lunch. 
  • I intermittently handled behavior issues with my same friends. 
  • I learned details of a student in special education who is being suspended for fighting - is there a better school out there for me?
  • We ended the day with all the students on the right bus, on time and organized!
  • And to end my day with students, I received a handwritten a "love/hate"  note with grammatical errors from the mom whose daughter threw a temper tantrum in my office.  How dare I stand outside the door to have a conversation and leave her daughter in the room screaming by herself?
I'm sure there is a lot I missed, but the highlights are there. . . did I mention that I love the place and am so excited to be a part of a growing and changing school?

Off to bed...38 hours at work in 3 days has wiped me out. . . thank goodness tomorrow is Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment